- Migrant Resistance in Contemporary Europe (London: Routledge, 2019).
- ‘Rebel spirits at sea: Disrupting EUrope’s weaponizing of time in maritime migration governance.’ Security Dialogue. Online First: 23 April 2023.
- ‘The Evolution of EUropean Border Governance through Crisis: Frontex and the Interplay of Protracted and Acute Crisis Narratives.’ Environment and Planning D: Society and Space. Online First: 4 February 2023. (With Nina Perkowski and Andrew Burridge).
- ‘“We closed the ports to protect refugees” - Hygienic borders and deterrence humanitarianism during Covid-19.’ International Political Sociology. 2021. Online first. (With Martina Tazzioli)
- ‘The ‘Covid Excuse’: EUropean border violence in the Mediterranean Sea’. Ethnic and Racial Studies. 2021. Online first. (With Deanna Dadusc)
- ‘The Mediterranean as a carceral seascape.’ Political Geography. 2021. Online first.
- ‘Europe’s unsafe environment: migrant confinement under Covid-19.’ Critical Studies on Security (2021), 9:1, 76-80. (With Martina Tazzioli).
- ‘Minor Keywords of Political Theory: Migration as a Critical Standpoint.’ Environment and Planning C: Politics & Space. March 2021. (As member of the New Keywords Collective)
- ‘Building transversal solidarities in European cities: Open harbours, safe communities, home.’ Critical Sociology. January 2021. (With Kim Rygiel and Ilker Ataç)
- ‘Precarious Migrations and Maritime Displacement’. In: Peter Adey et al. (eds.) The Handbook of Displacement (London: Palgrave, 2020). (With Vicki Squire)
- ‘Do No Harm? The Impact of Policy on Migration Scholarship’. Environment and Planning C: Politics and Space (2020). Online First: 23 October 2020.
- ‘Re-Imagining EUrope through the Governance of Migration’. International Political Sociology (2020), 14:3, 252–269.
- ‘Of Migrant Slaves and Underground Railroads - Movement, Containment, Freedom’. American Behavioral Scientist (2020), 64:4, 456-479.
- 'Amplifying Migrant Voices and Struggles at Sea as a Radical Practice'. The South Atlantic Quarterly (2019), 118:3, 661-669. (With Nina Schwarz)
- ‘The Struggle of Migrant Women across the Mediterranean Sea’. American Quarterly (2019), 71:4, 1029-1035. (On behalf of Alarm Phone)
- ‘Vers une politique de la liberté de mouvement’, Communications (2019), 104, 79-93. (With Charles Heller and Lorenzo Pezzani)
- ‘A Fleet of Mediterranean Border Humanitarians’, Antipode, (2018), 50:3, 704-724.
- ‘Disobedient Sensing and Border Struggles at the maritime Frontier of EUrope’, Spheres - Journal for Digital Cultures, 4 (2017), 1-15. (With Charles Heller and Lorenzo Pezzani)
- ‘Comparative Views on European and US-Mexican Border Struggles’, Transas, (2017). Translated into Spanish.
- ‘A Sea of Struggle: Activist Border Interventions in the Mediterranean Sea’, Citizenship Studies, 20:5 (2016), 561-578.
- ‘Contestations in Death: The Role of Grief in Migration Struggles’, Citizenship Studies, 20:2 (2016), 173-191.
- ‘Everything is Dangerous: Conduct and Counter-Conduct in the Occupy Movement’, Global Society, 30:2 (2016), 157-178. (With Chris Rossdale)
- ‘The WatchTheMed Alarm Phone. A Disobedient Border-Intervention’, Movements, 1:2 (2015).
- ‘‘No One Is Illegal!’ Resistance and the Politics of Discomfort’, Globalizations, 9:3 (2012), 425-438.
- ‘Bordering Practices’, Environment and Planning C: Politics and Space 40:5, 989-993 (2022) (with Suzan Ilcan and Vicki Squire).
- ‘The Contentious Politics of Refugee and Migrant Protest and Solidarity Movements: Remaking Citizenship from the Margins’, Citizenship Studies, 20:5 (2016), 527-544. (With Kim Rygiel and Ilker Ataç)
- 'Struggles of Migration as in-/visible Politics', Movements, 1:2 (2015), 1-18. (With Ilker Ataç, Sabine Kron, Sarah Schilliger, and Helge Schwiertz)
- ‘EUrope’s border ensemble and the disorder of migrant multiplicities’, in: William Walters and Martina Tazzioli (eds.) Handbook on Governmentality (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2023).
- ‘Europas nasse Grenzen’, in: Jochen Oltmer et al. (eds.) Report Globale Flucht 2023 (Frankfurt: S. Fischer Verlag, 2023).
- ‘Contesting the lethal Mediterranean frontier’, in: Ilse van Liempt et al. (eds.) Research Handbook on Irregular Migration (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 2023). (With Charles Heller and Lorenzo Pezzani).
- ‘Argumente für eine Politik der Bewegungsfreiheit.’ In: Hänsel, Heyer, Schmidt-Sembdner, Schwarz (ed.) Grenzregime IV (Berlin: Assoziation A, 2022). (With Charles Heller and Lorenzo Pezzani)
- ‘Toward an archive of migrant struggles’. In: Giorgio Grappi (ed.) Migration and the Contested Politics of Justice (London: Routledge, 2021). (With Martina Tazzioli)
- 'Toward a Politics of Freedom of Movement’, in Reece Jones (ed.), Open Borders: In Defense of Free Movement (Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press, 2019). (With Charles Heller and Lorenzo Pezzani)
- ‘Civil Society: From Sympathy to Solidarity’, in: Florian Weis et al (eds.): Atlas of Migration: Facts and figures about people on the move (Berlin: Rosa-Luxemburg Stiftung, 2019).
- ‘Excessive Migration, Excessive Governance - Border Entanglements in Greek EUrope’, in: Nicholas de Genova (ed.), The Borders of ‘EUrope’: Autonomy of Migration, Tactics of Bordering (Durham: Duke University Press, 2017).
- ‘Europe/Crisis: New Keywords of ‘the Crisis’ in and of ‘Europe', edited by Martina Tazzioli and Nicholas De Genova. New Futures Online, Zone Books. 2016. (Member of the New Keywords Collective)
- Book Review of Die konkrete Utopie der Menschenrechte by Wolfgang Kaleck (Berlin: S. Fischer, 2021), on Völkerrechtsblog (2021).
- Book Review of The Migration Apparatus: Security, Labor, and Policymaking in the European Union by Gregory Feldman (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2012), in International Migration Review, 46:4 (2012), pp. 1016-1018.
- Book Review of At Europe’s Edge: Migration and Crisis in the Mediterranean by Ċetta Mainwaring (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2021), in Society and Space (2022).
- ‘UN refugee agency calls on EU nations to let in migrants rescued in Mediterranean’, The Guardian, 29 August 2020. (With Lorenzo Tondo and Molly Blackall)
- ‘Banksy-funded boat nears 'state of emergency' as it shelters 200 people’, The Guardian, 28 August 2020. (With Lorenzo Tondo)
- 'Banksy funds refugee rescue boat operating in Mediterranean’, The Guardian, 27 August 2020. (With Lorenzo Tondo)
- ‘Migrants stranded at sea for three weeks now risk deportation, aid groups warn’, The Guardian, 19 June 2019. (With Lorenzo Tondo)
- Bangladeshi migrants in Tunisia forced to return home, aid groups claim', The Guardian, 25 June 2019. (With Lorenzo Tondo)
- ‘UN migration agency accused of pressuring Bangladeshis to return home', The Guardian, 26 August 2019. (With Lorenzo Tondo)
Open Access and Online Publications
- ‘The EU’s secret weapon against refugees - time’, Aljazeera, 17 May 2023.
- ‘Krisennarrative in der europäischen Migrationspolitik’, Soziopolis, 12 April 2023. (With Nina Perkowski and Andrew Burridge).
- ‘A right to European asylum’, Open Democracy, 31 January 2023. (With Martina Tazzioli)
- ‘One hundred days of refugee protest in Libya’, Open Democracy, 3 March 2022. (With Martina Tazzioli)
- 'EU solidarity with Poland on migration: a violent response to an imagined threat’, The Conversation, 6 December 2021.
- 'Freedom for the ElHiblu3!’, Aljazeera, 22 October 2021. (With Sandro Mezzadra)
- 'The Borders of Human Rights and the Need for Utopian Blueprints Today’, Völkerrechtsblog, 19 August 2021.
- 'Mediterranean carcerality and acts of escape’, Open Democracy, 16 July 2021.
- 'Heroes, not ‘terrorists’: The trial of the ElHiblu3 in Malta’, Aljazeera, 25 March 2021.
- 'Lawfare on solidarity at sea: The Mediterranean rescuers facing trial’, Open Democracy, 16 March 2021.
- 'CommemorActions: Remembering those lost at Europe's borders’, Open Democracy, 9 March 2021.
- 'Call it what it is, a massacre at Europe’s doorstep’, Aljazeera, 21 November 2020. (With Deanna Dadusc)
- ‘How should we study Europe’s harmful migration policies?’, Open Democracy, 29 October 2020
- 'Freedom and Force: Contesting the Figure of the Migrant Slave’, Border Criminologies, 14 October 2020.
- 'Black lives are being lost in the Mediterranean – but the world remains silent’, The Conversation, 8 July 2020.
- 'Migration: how Europe is using coronavirus to reinforce its hostile environment in the Mediterranean, The Conversation, 13 May 2020.
- 'What happens to Freedom of Movement during a Pandemic?’, Open Democracy, 24 March 2020. (With Sandro Mezzadra)
- 'WatchTheMed Alarm Phone: A Response for Rescue and a Call for Change', Interview with European Council on Refugees and Exiles, 14 February 2020. (With Deanna Dadusc and Britta Rabe)
- 'How migrants and their supporters are reviving the ethos of the 19th-century underground railroad’, The Conversation, 19 December 2019.
- 'Can Migrants at Sea be Heard?’, Discover Society, 06 November 2019.
- 'EU sued at International Criminal Court over Mediterranean migration policy – as more die at sea’, The Conversation, 04 June 2019.
- 'The Mediterranean battlefield of migration’, Open Democracy, 12 April 2019. (With Sandro Mezzadra)
- 'From Migrants to Pirates: How Identities Change During Mediterranean Passage’, The Globe Post, 3 April 2019.
- 'Migrants calling us in distress from the Mediterranean returned to Libya by deadly ‘refoulement’ industry’, The Conversation, 7 February 2019.
- 'Every refugee boat a rebellion? Supporting border transgressions at sea’, Open Democracy, 18 September 2016. The Conversation, 7 February 2019.